Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

Packing Chaos and Family Love

All of the planning that goes into moving abroad can obviously get a little chaotic. I didn't realize how much of a toll it was taking on my brain until my mom asked me why I put the baby in the bathtub with her shirt still on.
Either it was the packing or the trauma of having to translate over the phone for my sister (who is a nurse) to tell a poor unsuspecting patient that he was going to have to get a suppository. He swore up and down that he wasn't, um, needing one and that it was normal for him to only use the restroom every 3-4 days, really! My sister was kind enough to give him the choice to help himself.
So in the middle of fielding phone translation fiascoes and trying to fit my and my daughter's life into a few suitcases and trying not to worry about whether my dear husband woke up on time to eat with the Quakers or not... (When my mom said that this morning, I thought it was a euphemism for oatmeal, turns out there was a group on a mission project at his hotel;) and resume his travels safely- I've been trying to savor the moments. It's finally sinking in that the waiting is almost over! We've dealt with the reality as much as possible when it is divorced from it's realistic environment, and have tried to be educated and prepared... but there's nothing like actually doing something.
We visited Ben's family in Mississippi the 10th through the 14th, lucky for Ben. He was able to practice on Mexico-quality roads without all of the border hassle! While there, we really enjoyed spending time with his family. We've both been blessed with exceptional, critically thinking, challenge embracing, survivors for family members. They're quite an inspiring bunch. My family is making a special effort to come by and see me (and especially Talia) tomorrow. It's nice to know that when you leave, people won't be breathing a big sigh of relief- but rather reassure you that you are loved and that your presence is an appreciated part of the family. It's a blessing to not have something to run from, just an adventure awaiting you.
So here's to chaotic schedules, unsuspecting patients, amazing families and adventures. May you have less of the first two and more of the last!

2 comments:

  1. Lol at putting Talia in the bath with her shirt on! ;) So exciting! Incidentally...and this is random, sorry...what organization did you travel with when you went to Guatemala with your sister? Would you mind messaging me on facebook or such to let me know? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait 'till you put a kid's shorts back on and forget the diaper...

    ReplyDelete