Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Morning Glory/Water Spinach, Vietnamese Persimmons/Golden Apple and Guava: New-to-us Khmer Food

I've learned several new fruits and vegetables lately. I thought I'd share them with you.
Below you see the water lily stems that take special talent to harvest. When you pinch off the stem, if you are not careful, mud will be drawn up the stalk. The Khmer lady who sells these has four children depending on her at home and something happened to her husband. She walks around town with a big basket of these carried on her head calling out the name of them in Khmer. Our neighbor said she uses these to make a salad with thin strips of the water lily stem, chicken, lime juice and herbs.

Water spinach, or morning glory, are the stems of the sweet potato plant. They are used in soup the same way you would use spinach and with a similar taste. Many times it is used in a soup with rice noodles.

I had no clue what these were when my friend gave them to us. My Vietnamese friend helped me out with the Latin name: Diospyros decandra, or a type of persimmon. One way the Khmer eat these is with the flesh mashed in a mixture of milk, sugar, and chia or basil seeds. The pulp is pretty astringent in the mouth, so all of that can be pretty necessary!

Here you see a guava. These were really popular in Mexico, but the ones I saw were smaller, many times made into preserves. Here guava is enjoyed dipped in salt, sometimes with garlic powder, chili or sugar.
The kids all tried a bite and thought it was good, but even better, the pasabulong from our Filipina friends who came home from holiday and were so kind to think of us:
The biscocho is from Iloilo and the piaya is from Negros Occidental.
Yep, it was yummy!
Elias had fun trying on his father's shirt... it'll be a few years before it fits.
The boys love to help cook! Here they were making cinnamon rolls:

One of them wants to be a fireman who owns a restaurant on the side when he grows up. The other one wants to build "helico'ters." I can't wait to see what they become!

2 comments:

  1. Howdy! I could have sworn I've visited your blog before but after looking at
    a few of the posts I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm certainly
    happy I discovered it and I'll be bookmarking it and
    checking back regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your
    weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays.

    ReplyDelete