Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Thanksgiving: Ben, Friends and Food

Thanksgiving abroad can be depressing if you don't actively create your own celebration; even better if you add friends. Last year we didn't really know anyone (especially from the U.S.) to celebrate Thanksgiving with. I was also really pregnant and we were saving for the baby. A turkey is pretty expensive here, so we just had a simple dinner at home. This year, however, was better!  Friends from my bible study group got together and had Thanksgiving. The five families who were there all had a few kids each, and they had a blast together running around outside in the (rare-to-find) garden play space. We enjoyed chicken, stuffing, salad, broccoli and cheese, quiche, and many desserts along with great conversation.


Thanksgiving also fell on Ben's birthday this year. I find that appropriate! Not because he's a turkey, but because we are thankful for him. ;) We celebrated a day early with apple bread and sweet potato pie. I also made him cinnamon rolls the next day to take to the Thanksgiving feast, and made sure he got one. Ben likes plain vanilla ice cream most of the time.


At the store we had to dig through flavors like sweet corn, taro/yam, cheese, durian, jackfruit and ruammitter, before finally, at the bottom, we found plain vanilla! Vanilla ice cream with apple bread is amazing.


I'm thankful to not be pregnant this Thanksgiving but rather to have all of my children where I can hug them. I'm thankful for my husband who takes us on so many adventures. I'm thankful for you, because if you're reading this, you're probably family who cares.


4 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you and Ben and the kiddos. Hugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, what a blog it is! This web site presents helpful data to us,
    keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment
    (it was super long) so I guess I'll jujst sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly
    enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blkog writer but I'm still new to thhe whole thing.

    Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers?

    I'd definitely appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not resist commenting. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete