In Guatemala, the disasters we experienced were earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, and swine flu. In Texas, the extremely dry summer has parched the ground making wildfires a huge problem. Add to that the extremely strong winds this week and it was a recipe for fire disaster. There are many burning right now:
According to the Texas Forest Service:
"Wildfire update – Sept. 6, 2011
· Yesterday Texas Forest Service responded to 22 new fires for 7,544 acres, including 10 new large fires.
· In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 181 fires for 118,413 acres.
· It appears that in the past 48 hours, more than 700 homes have been destroyed. As better assessments come in, we will continue to update the situation report.
· 251 of the 254 Texas counties are reporting burn bans.
· Daily detailed fire information can be found at inciweb.org.
New large fires from yesterday (more than 100 acres in timber, 300 acres in lighter fuels; or where homes were lost):
*Note: Details on many fires are still unconfirmed. The Dispatch Tracker System was down most of yesterday and went down again this morning. Most of the details below are from late last night."
Many people I know have had to evacuate their homes and many more are in danger.
Please keep Texas in your prayers!