Knowing that there are always trade-offs with any international teaching position, with the multitude of options that are seemingly available, it helps us to have a way to narrow options. All of the following criteria does not have to be met, of course, but it does help serve as a filter! (So, in no particular order:)
1. Do they pay for everyone's flight, not just the person who will be teaching?
2. What other benefits are offered? (Summer flights home for the family, housing, insurance, etc.)
3. Is there enough religious freedom in that country that there is a church we could attend?
4. What does the culture have that would benefit our family or that we would find interesting? Languages, useful or easy to learn? future business opportunities?
5. Are fruits and vegetables readily available? How accessible is a healthy lifestyle?
6. How large is the expat and/or Spanish-speaking community? (If it is not a Spanish-speaking country.)
7. How does that country view child-rearing? Homeschooling?
8. Is there a supported midwife community? Is home-birth available or even legal?
9. Is freedom of speech and technology available? (Are certain sites blocked on the internet in that country? If so is there a way around it?)
10. What is the teaching position available and would the person applying for it enjoy it, or simply endure it for the experience in another country.